Sign the petition to stop animal abuse

You can sign a petition to stop animal abuse here. Make a difference and make your voice be heard with one click. Thanks for your support! BTW: Elder Blackhurst and Elder Loveland Rule!!!!!

Monday, May 11, 2009

Good For Your Garden, Bad For Your Dog

After doing my daily round of pooper scooping in the yard today I noticed a very disturbing detail in my puppy's stool. A long worm. Yuck. I was both disgusted and intrigued at the same time because we had her wormed when we got her. Now I know what you're thinking. The last thing you want me to blog about is my puppy's poo but hear me out. Why would she get worms a month after worming at the vet? I was in awe! It was weired. I scooped up the poo and threw it away. I came in the house, scrubbed down my hands with antibacterial soap and very hot water and immediately hit the net and began searching for information on puppy worms. I found out that puppies can get worms at any time; even after worming so it's important to keep an eye on their fecal matter. I learned that puppies get worms from fleas (I was unaware she had fleas at all because I have yet to see one on her and she doesn't scratch). But, I guess the experts know best.

While searching for more information on the net, (this next part may make you nauseous so don't read if you have a weak stomach) my puppy puked in my living room floor. I got up to clean it up and there it was. A worm in her puke and what appeared to be larvae. Now I was REALLY intrigued! I knew the worms would come out in her stool, but I had no idea she could vomit them up! I cleaned up the mess, thoroughly mopped the floor, washed my hands yet again in very hot water with antibacterial soap, and hit the net yet again. Not only did I find out that this was normal, but I also found out that humans can contract worms from dogs. Um. Gross. Yet. Interesting. And disturbing.

As a mommy of 2 boys, when I found this information out, I immediately called the vet. She goes next week to have the worms taken care of. For now we have to take extra precautions such as keeping her from licking the boys (not sure if you can get the worms this way but I'm paranoid), keeping the yard scooped, and watching her closely for any vomiting or diarrhea.

Yes, you've done it again Aspen. You've given us more trouble and, yet, we love you even more. Bad puppy, bad! :)

For more information on worms in your puppy this site was great for me! It offers TONS of helpful information!

No comments:

Post a Comment